I have been using roll-on-wax for a long time now. I will be sharing my experience and helpful tips of this convenient and easy way of waxing.
I’d like to note that this post is about roller wax warmers and kits. Personally, I do not like traditional hard wax, because the wax beads warmer are much bigger, and it needs more a professional technique… I’m too lazy. Because of the fact that roll on wax uses a wax machine for hair removal, it heats up in the cartridge without making any mess. Some believe that hard wax is more effective because more sticky but that requires a certain level of skill and there are more precautions of burns etc and you need to use a specific wax pot for hair removal which can be quite messy. Anyway here is a review of electric wax warmers for hard wax beads for those who are keen to give it a go.
Unwanted hair on the body is always present and hair removal is ongoing. I want to share my experience with roll-on waxing machine kits.
My body hair is dark and grows thick and hard evenly along my legs. After depilation with my women’s razor, my legs only stay perfectly smooth for 2-3 days. Then, I have a feeling of slight roughness which doesn’t occur until after at least 2 weeks time after using roll-on wax. I implement hair removal once every 3 weeks. My hair has gradually become softer over time.
Now I want to mention the degree of pain from waxing; it is tolerable when doing your legs. At first, it is painful, but just try to keep in mind the final results you will have in order to get you through it. The longer you do it, the less painful it will be. To be honest, taking a painkiller prior to the procedure (if you feel really scared or have a low tolerance to pain) does not help. A friend of mine drinks 50 grams of whiskey for courage before depilation. She said it helps, but I haven’t tried to check.
What a Roll-on Wax Kit Consists of
A hair removal wax warmer kit consists of everything that is needed in order for you to have a successful wax. Some kits such as the “Veet Easy Wax Roll-On” even includes a refill which is particularly convenient.
Hot Waxing Machine or Easier – Wax Heater
From a practical point of view, a simple device will be adequate. I prefer electric wax warmers, but it’s not a big deal, you can use a microwave to heat the wax and get the same result.
There are two types of roll-on wax warmers: either large or mini roller head. Mini heads are designed for the bikini, armpits and face areas.
There are plenty of different flavors, but it’s all the same: they smell of paraffin. After a long time of using roll-on wax and experimenting, I have tried wax a few different hair removal wax brands but haven’t noticed any significant differences in products. So, now I buy cheapest available.
At the beginning, until you are accustomed and familiarized with the system, you will most likely use one cartridge for 2 full treatments of the legs (covering wax of both of your legs from the top to the bottom) + 2 times for the underarm. Then, with practice, consumption will be less and you will be able to be more economical with the amount being used.
Here is a VEET official video with “how to use” instructions:
Wax Paper Strips (depilatory paper)
There are two options: cut strips and reel. The price difference is not so significant, but the strips are more convenient to store. They are made of non-woven material. I found that it’s not ideal to purchase the cheapest variants, as they may tear. It is best to go for strips from the mid-range price option. At first, the consumption is quite large (up to 10 pieces for one leg), but then it will be less.
Gel Before Depilation or Baby Powder
Gel applied before waxing disinfects the skin and ensures an anti-inflammatory action, while the menthol and camphor components have a cooling effect. You can replace the gel by any skin degreaser or talc (baby powder) if you wish. These solutions are cheaper and can be used longer.
Oil after depilation helps to remove wax residues from the skin, softens the skin and speeds up its recovery after the procedure.
The composition of the oil for hair removal is no different from baby oils or other cosmetic oils for the skin.
If you wish, you may replace it with any moisturizer or body lotion.
This short video will inform you of important matters about using a wax heater for hair removal before starting the procedure:
How to Remove Hair with Wax Roller
First of all, you will find many recommendations to steam the skin before hair removal. Do not do this, as you cannot treat wet skin! The best is to take a shower (without using a scrub/ peeling) 2 hours before the procedure. Let your skin dry completely.
Secondly, the treatment for is effective for hairs of a certain length, which should be at least 4-5 mm.
- Put a cartridge to your wax roller (if you have a new one, remove the protective film from its head). Turn on the appliance at the socket and time approximately 20-25 minutes which will be enough for the wax to be warm.
- After the wax has warmed up, turn off the wax heater. You hardly can burn yourself with the wax, as long as it wasn’t heated for more than an hour. Dry your legs with a towel, if necessary, and then apply the gel before depilation or sprinkle talcum powder to remove excess moisture (especially important in areas under the knees and armpits).
- Turn your wax machine upside down just for 3 seconds (to stack the wax), then apply a narrow strip of the wax 5-10 cm in length (not longer than your paper strip) in the hair growth direction. Put the waxing machine on a flat surface (ensure it stands strictly in a vertical position, otherwise the wax may flow and get dirty all around).
- Stick a hair removal strip to the applied wax in the hair growth direction (the best is, if about 1 cm of the strip will remain unstuck to make it easier to tear off), then, run your hand in the hair growth direction along the strip a couple of times to press it down tightly.
- Take the lower edge of the depilatory paper strip and yank it sharply against the hair growth.
Note! Do not pull up, but pull along the skin.
If there are still some hairs, repeat everything again. If there is wax left at the edges, use the same strip again, press it down again in the same place and pull. You will remove the wax along with the strip.
- Take your wax heater again and repeat steps 3 and 4. For the following steps, you can use the same hair removal strip until the layer of wax reaches 2-3 mm (you will feel when it is time for another because it will be more difficult to tear off).
If the wax in the cartridge has cooled down, you can warm it up again in the wax melt warmer and continue the hair removal procedure.
After depilation, apply oil to your legs: it will remove any wax residue left on your skin. It is desirable not to wet the legs at least for 8 hours after the procedure to avoid skin irritation.
If you have applied the wax, stuck the strip, but cannot tear it off easily (wax smears and spreads), it means the skin is wet. It is better to give the skin time to cool a little (about two minutes), then, take a new strip and try again. If you are not successful again, remove the wax with oil.
In fact, after a few sessions, your hair removal will be quick and easy. The main thing is to get used to the process.
Here is a full Nair roll on wax review video:
Skin Care After Roll-on Waxing
- Do not forget to apply oil and/or soothing cream after the procedure. Skin irritation usually goes away in 1-2 days.
- Do not wet your skin within 6 hours after hair removal to not intensify the irritation and avoid infections.
- You are also advised not to expose your skin to the sun or take a hot bath or shower within 24 hours after depilation.
- Avoid cosmetics containing alcohol and cosmetic scent, as they may cause ingrown hairs.
- You may use body scrubs only 3-4 days after waxing. To prevent ingrown hairs it is recommended to use a scrub 2-3 times a week.
- If you have irritation present such as small pimples, use salicylic alcohol.
- Choose loose-fitting clothing.
By following the tips above your skin will be restored after the waxing faster in no time at all.