With so many techniques to remove unwanted hair, it can be baffling to understand which is the most suitable for you. Perhaps you would like to consider hot wax.
Waxing at home or in a salon is suitable for anyone who doesn’t already have any health problems or skin conditions in the area which they plan to remove their hair.
Individual characteristics do not depend on the procedure or final results as it does with some other methods of hair removal. This is a well-known and popular method of hair removal worldwide for a reason.
There are different types of wax suitable for different areas of the body. Here, will discuss all the factors you need to take into account before deciding to choose one as your hair removal method of choice.
Let’s go over the benefits of hot wax hair removal…
- Many women and men choose to wax away their unwanted hair as it can eliminate hair from essentially anywhere on the body from the legs, back, chest, face, bikini or brows.
- Excessive amounts of hair can be eliminated in a short amount of time and the best thing is that after hot waxing, you can enjoy being hair-free for 3 weeks or more.
- The more frequently you get waxed the softer and thinner the hair in that area will become meaning the less often you will need to get waxed.
- The process of waxing is very straightforward and can either be carried out (see: video instructions) at a beauty salon by a professional or at home alone or with the help of someone else. Some areas are obviously easier to do without the help of another person than others and some will definitely require the assistance of a second person.
- Those who are particularly sensitive or tend to have allergic reactions often turn to waxing as the components are natural therefore irritations are rare.
- Over time, after continuously waxing you will notice a reduction in the amount of hair growth and hair density.
The Best Types of Hair Removal Wax
There are several different types of wax which are suitable for different types of hair and different areas of the body. Some may seem to be more convenient and easy but may not provide the best results.
When it comes to choosing the best at home waxing approach, it’s advisable to consult a cosmetologist to discuss your individual characteristics and features.
Hot Wax Hair Removal
Hot wax is ideal for removing excessive amounts of unwanted, thick hair in the areas of underarms, face, and bikini. The skills of a trained professional are required in order to have the method of hot wax hair removal performed correctly and safely.
- The wax is heated sufficiently in a hot wax machine. Talcum powder should be applied to the area where the wax will be applied to absorb any moisture on the skin allowing the wax to stick properly. Hot wax machines are convenient for keeping the wax at the necessary temperature and consistency throughout the procedure.
- The temperature of the wax needs to firstly be tested on your wrist before being applied to any other area of the body.
- The wax is applied in a thick layer with the help of a wooden spatula over the area or hair in the direction of the growth. Extra coats of the wax can be applied if it wasn’t consistent, even or thick enough. There is no strip needed since hot wax is of such a smooth and thick consistency that it will become the strip itself once it hardens on the skin. The wax can also be applied to the same area 3 times.
- The hot wax will become hard (which is why it is also referred to as hard wax) after 3 seconds and then ripped off in the opposite direction of the growth while the skin is held firmly.
Hot Wax Machines
For beauticians working from home or those who have been trained to use hot wax hair removal from home, it’s ideal to have a hot wax machine as it keeps the wax at the perfect temperature throughout the entire procedure. High-quality hot wax machines are available for very affordable prices for professionals working from home. They can be purchased separately or included in a hard wax kit.
The GiGi wax warmer is a professional standard wax warmer, capable of warming all wax formulas. The heating is controlled with a thermostat and an indicator light lets you know it has reached the set temp. The see-through protective cover prevents wax contamination as well as allowing you to see when the wax looks ready to use/test the temp. The aluminum tin is designed for 14oz wax pots but can accommodate most containers and it’s also removable which makes it easy to clean.
– See best 5 wax warmers
Hot Wax Kit
A hot wax kit as it includes everything you need to carry out the entire procedure. This is ideal as there will be no need to purchase anything additional once you have the hot wax kit.
The Gigi starter kit includes everything needed for a waxing successful waxing procedure. The professional grade kit that contains a multi-purpose high-quality wax warmer, all-purpose honey wax, wooden stick wax applicators, different sized muslin strips for different areas of the body, as well as all the necessary pre as post wax treatments. The kit contains everything needed to obtain smooth, flawless skin and everything needed to start waxing from home.
Hard Wax Kit for Nose Hair Waxing
Who would have thought that nose hair waxing would become something that could actually be successfully and easily achieved from home? Now manufacturers from the company Nads have created sensitive hard wax on a specially shaped spatula that can remove nostril hairs as well as blackheads! It will remove any nose hairs that are sticking out of where they are meant to be. This is ideal if you don’t fancy using a nose hair trimmer up or for those who want an alternative to tweezing.
Nads nose wax provides an easy way to get hairless nostrils from the comfort of your own home. Simply heat the Nads nose wax in the microwave, dip the applicator tip into the wax and insert into the nostril. Allow the wax to cool in the nostril for 1-2 minutes and then hold the stem of the applicator and in one swift movement, pull the applicator down and out of the nostril.
Warm wax is suitable for waxing legs from home, abdomen, back, chest, hand, arms, and also waxing facial hair while it is not ideal for the bikini and armpits as it is most suitable for thin hair. It can be performed with ease from home. The hair removal wax warmer gets the wax to the perfect temperature for application.
You will need:
- A wax heater
- A wax cartridge
- Wax strips – they can be purchased either in a roll where you need to cut them yourself into the specific sizes you require or in already cut strips.
- Heat the wax cartridge in the hair removal wax warmer for 30 minutes until it reaches a temperature of 40-50 degrees.
- After it has reached the sufficient temperature, apply a thin, even layer to the area of unwanted hair. Only apply wax to a certain area once.
- Apply the strips and press down firmly on top of the wax leaving a little tab of about 1cm free at the end of the strip to help with easy removal of the strip.
- Hold the skin taut from the top of the strip and pull off in one sharp movement in the opposite direction of the growth, parallel to the skin, not pulling upwards.
This BODEE HONEE extra strength wax formula is completely natural and designed for both men and women with thick, coarse body hair. This is for body hair only, not for the face. It should be heated in the microwave for 1 minute, and then it’s ready to use. The kit includes everything needed to perform the waxing procedure from home including 10oz of wax, 10 waxing strips, 2 wooden spatula applicator sticks and 2 oil wipes to remove any wax residue after the wax.
It’s suitable for anywhere on the body and for any hair type intended for at home waxing. Cold wax hair removal is one of the best at home waxing kit variants as specific strips are created for different areas of the body and there is essentially no mess or hassles involved. Shaped strips can even be purchased for accurately waxing eyebrows at home. Waxing at home kits include everything you need for the whole procedure in the package and are available at convenient stores.
The method is simple. All you need to do is warm the wax strips up in your hands, remove the protective cover on the strip, exposing the wax, place the wax firmly on the area and strip off in the direction of growth. It’ll be over before you can say “ouch!” It has definitely made eyebrow waxing at home an absolute breeze for me myselft and certainly many other people who don’t want to go to the salon or spend time plucking individual hairs with eyebrow tweezers.
Veet cold wax strips are ready to use. The new formula is dermatologist tested and is capable of removing unwanted hair in as little as 5 minutes. This formula is suitable for those with sensitive skin and is enriched with shea butter and a pleasant acai berry fragrance. This kit ensures the best results ever and with 95% of hair removed from one application. The kit has 40 wax strips for body use and 4 post wax wipes for removing any wax residue.
Homemade Sugar Waxing at Home
If you are looking for a homemade alternative, you could try at-home sugar waxing. To prepare the hair removal wax is simple; you will need:
- One cup of granulated sugar
- Four tablespoons of lemon juice
- Four tablespoons of water
- Put the ingredients on a hot element on a medium temperature, stirring consistently with a wooden spoon until the mixture becomes the consistency of thick golden syrup.
- Take the sugar wax off the element and pour immediately into a jar to avoid it sticking to your pot. Allow the homemade wax to cool for approximately 15 minutes, you want it to be nearly solid at a warm temperature.
- Now you can apply the hair removal wax with a wooden stick, cover with paper or fabric strips, press down firmly and rip off in the opposite direction to the growth.
With such basic ingredients, you can implement at home waxing at home anytime. If you have any leftovers, the jar of wax can be covered and kept for approximately 2 weeks.
Do not use hard wax for hair removal if you have or suffer from any of the following conditions in the area of unwanted hair.
- Varicose veins
- Acute or chronic skin conditions
- External manifestations of herpes
- Diabetes mellitus
- Moles or papilloma
- Broken skin (scratches, cuts, deep scars, purulent diseases)
- Individual intolerance or allergy to components of the wax
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
You will have to find another method to remove your unwanted hair. Look into sugaring hair removal as it’s totally natural and doesn’t have as many containdications for the user.
Disadvantages of Waxing
- As the effect lasts only about 3 weeks, the effect is rather temporary. Also considering the fact that the hair must be to a certain length of 5mm before the procedure is repeated. This turns some people away as they are not fond of growing hair in unwanted areas this long.
- The temperature of the wax needs to be just right. If it’s not heated up properly, then it will not work effectively, providing an uneven result and difficulty removing while if it’s too hot then it can actually burn. This is why it’s mandatory to test the temperature on your wrist before applying it onto a larger area.
- Ingrown hair after waxing is painful and common. They grow underneath the skin and can be painful. Do your best to avoid the occurrence of these by frequently exfoliating to remove dead skin cells.
- Although waxing is fast, it still remains painful. It is not suitable for those with a low tolerance to pain. There are ways to try reducing the amount of pain such as taking a pain killer 1 hour before the procedure or rubbing an ice cube or special cream on the area to numb it beforehand. These are worth a try but for some waxing remains too painful.
- Many women are particularly sensitive and will feel the pain more sharply in the weeks before their period and during. For some, this is not an issue; but it’s best to hold off the process until you feel better or resulting to a less painful means of hair removal.
- Ensure your hair is long enough. It needs to be at least 5mm.
- Exfoliate the area where you will be removing the hair 3 days prior to waxing to prevent the occurrence of ingrown hairs.
- Many women are particularly sensitive and will feel the pain more sharply in the weeks before their period and during. For some, this is not an issue. But if this applies to you; it’s best to hold off the process until you feel better.
- Use pain reduction methods if it’s necessary for you. Painkiller 1 hour prior, rub special cream or ice cube to numb the area of skin.
- Have a warm shower or bath before to soften and clean the skin.
- Lotions can be applied to disinfect the skin and improve the adhesion of wax to the skin.
The Best Wax for Hair Removal
It’s difficult to decide among the many different types of wax available as they all have specific pros and cons. Homemade sugar wax is ideal for those who want to ensure all the ingredients are completely natural and want a cost effective option. Each person will have their own preference too. Hard wax hair removal is perfect for getting rid of coarse hair in areas such as the bikini and underarms. Many people turn away from choosing hard wax as it can be rather messy compared to other methods such as roll-on wax or wax strips, but when it comes down to it, hard wax is the one which is the best to get you ready for summer feeling good in a bikini as it easily removes those coarse hairs! Yes, it’s recommended to use hot wax if you are trained as there are certain precautions to take in regards to the temperature and what not. Perhaps taking a training course if it’s something you want to maintain for a long period of time. It’s totally worth it. Therefore upon deciding which is the best wax for hair removal, you should ask yourself a few questions such as where you want to remove the hair; if you will be doing it at home by yourself, and how much are you wanting to spend. Then after reading this article, the ideal wax for hair removal for you should be obvious.
The Final Results
By following all preparation indications and instructions of the at home waxing kits carefully, you will be astonished by the effect after waxing. Your skin will be shiny and smooth and there’ll be no need to worry about repeating the process for another 3-6 weeks. Once the hair becomes long enough, the procedure can be repeated once again, as time goes on the hair will become thinner and the process will become less painful.
Ingrown Hair After Waxing
How to prevent ingrown hair after waxing? – This is a common question as ingrown hair from waxing is awfully common! First of all, let’s understand why ingrown hairs occur in the first place. Anyone can get ingrown hairs from waxing and it is even more common in areas of coarse and curly hair making the bikini area a breeding ground for them. Fortunately, there are certain things that can be done to prevent and reduce these from occurring:
- Make exfoliation a ritual for you so that you are always eliminating dead skin cells before any new hairs get a chance to grow underneath.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes for the first day or so after waxing.
After the Procedure
- You will have smooth skin immediately after the procedure.
- Remove wax residues with oil. This will also nourish and soften the skin, then shower or wash off oil residue with water so that your pores will not become clogged as they will be totally open after being freshly waxed.
- Eliminate stray hairs or ingrown hairs with disinfected tweezers.
- Do not re-do the waxing procedure less than 10 days after you initially did it.
- Avoid Saunas, baths, and solariums for 48 hours.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure in the area that has been waxed.
Wax hair removal has proven itself to be a trusted and fast approach to removing unwanted hair whether performed by a beautician or simply with an at-home waxing kit. The fact that this reliable method can be performed essentially anywhere on the body with rare and very few side effects makes it an ideal choice for most people.